What to do if somebody dies

  • Notify your Synagogue
  • If you are a member of a JJBS synagogue then notify the Burial Society. There are instructions on our answer-phone for emergency removal.
  • If you are not a member of JJBS then we can arrange funerals in the lawn cemetery, the woodland or a cremation. We can also arrange a funeral for non-Jewish partners in a double depth grave.
  • Obtain a cause of death certificate from the GP or Hospital. A locum doctor’s certificate will not enable you to register the death.
  • Take the death certificate to the Registrar for Births and Deaths. It must be the Registrar in the area where the death occurred.
  • Phone the burial society office on 0208 989 5252 once you have been issued with the relevant documentation. We will advise you what to do next.
  • Once funeral arrangements have been made with the burial society, contact your Synagogue Administrator who will assist with Shiva arrangements and will liaise with the Rabbi about the funeral.
  • Speak personally to the Rabbi about the funeral service.
  • Notify family and friends of the funeral arrangements.